Re: Update of RFC 2606 based on the recent ICANN changes ?

2008-07-08 11:50:56
Joe Touch wrote:

Keith Moore wrote:
|> RFC1043 defines the dot. The fact that some apps don't recognize it is a
|> bug.
|
| not when the application explicitly specifies that FQDNs are to be used.
| in such cases the dot is superfluous.

Superfluous is fine. Prohibited is not. If the app inputs DNS names,
then FQDNs should be valid, even if redundant.

I don't think you get to revise a couple of decades of protocol design and implementation by declaring that RFC 1043's authors and process trump everything that's been done afterward.

face it, there are large numbers of identifiers for which relative names are simply not appropriate - because they cannot be made to work well over the time frame that those identifiers need to be valid. email addresses and URLs are two obvious examples.

Keith