RE: Proposed Experiment: More Meeting Time on Friday for IETF 73

2008-07-18 02:57:03
I oppose this experiment.  I already donate to my employer a
significant amount of travel time on weekends without wanting
to add to it.  Flight schedules are tightening, thanks to the
cost of fuel, which means that having sessions on Friday at
all poses a problem now, if I want to get back by Saturday.
Having afternoon sessions would put a nail in that coffin.

One wonders why the IETF is so reluctant to make more use
of an interesting service called the Internet. I hear that
it offers cheap conference calls, and cheap video conferencing
capabilities. One would think that in this age of rising
fuel/transportation costs, the IETF would be looking to
make heavier use of telecommunications to reduce the amount
of face-time required.

In addition, I'd argue that we need to update our rules to
allow for less notice so that more use of teleconferencing
can take place.  I recognize that this solution is not a
panacea, especially for the poor shmo who has to be up at
4:00am to participate.

That poor schmo should be happy that he has saved himself
the aggravation of a week of jet lag. Also, video or voice
conferences can be recorded so that people who have real problems
with time differences, can still follow the work, and join
in at other venues such as mailing lists, or the next conference
call which is scheduled at a different time.

--Michael Dillon