Re: Proposed Experiment: More Meeting Time on Friday for IETF 73

2008-07-19 07:04:53

On Jul 18, 2008, at 3:26 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

On 18 jul 2008, at 9:47, Kurt Erik Lindqvist wrote:

so while I sympathize with the need for this, and won't argue against it. I do want to point out that it means that overseas travelers will be 'stuck' for another day (depending on where in the world we are, you can normally make an afternoon overseas flight, but not if we have an afternoon slot). So in order for you to get enough data - I would strongly urge you to also have an afternoon slot in a non-north american meeting location and only afterwards analyze the data.

Actually the connections from Dublin to the rest of Europe aren't so great that it's possible to fly back friday evening for everyone. In my case (Madrid) I'm staying until saturday to attend the RRG session that runs until five.

What might be illuminating is to to a quick poll on the RRG list so we can correlate home region with:

- flying home after RRG on friday
- flying home after leaving RRG early on friday
- flying home saturday after RRG

And then of course the same for the extra sessions on friday in Minneapolis.

The earliest flight I could find to Washington, DC after 5:00 PM Dublin time is 6:00 AM the next morning.

The principal here is fairly straightforward - modern airliners travel at very roughly the speed of the Earth's rotation at 45 degrees latitude. So, assuming that the latitude of departure and arrival is roughly the same, for trips East the clock time difference is roughly twice the trip duration, for trips West the clock time difference is roughly zero. The jet stream flows West to East, and thus slows down trips West and speeds up trips East, but this gives the picture.

Airlines try and avoid leaving or arriving between mid-night and 6 AM, and strongly prefer arriving and leaving during normal working hours if possible. For intercontinental trips East of, say 8 hours duration, the clock time difference will be 12 hours or more, and that gives a preponderance of overnight flights, with a few in the early morning arriving late the same evening. Going West, there is more flexibility, as the clock time difference is small, but you will typically not have any late evening flights, and lots of morning ones.

So, a meeting in the US can end at 5:00 PM and people will be able to get flights to Europe that evening, but for a meeting in Europe ending at 5:00 PM will generally mean a flight the next morning.

For the very long flights that you get in Asia, these principles break down. (For example, India to Europe flights frequently leave very early, 1:00 AM or so local time. I was told by a pilot that the planes from Europe refuel in India and return the same night and that with the flight times and the refueling time it was not possible to put all 4 departures and arrivals during normal waking hours, and so one of the 4 had to be in the middle of the night.)

Regards
Marshall