Re: Draft IAOC Administrative Policy

2008-07-26 05:03:23

Ray Pelletier wrote:
Your input in most appreciated.

The draft is nicely simple and straightforward.  There seem to be only a small
number of holes worth closing:

IAOC Administrative Procedures

1.      The IAOC shall hold at least ten meetings each calendar year, as face to
face meetings, as teleconferences at which all participants can speak and
hear each other, or as a combination.

#3 defines a quorum. Item #1 ought to specify that a qualifying meeting has a quorum present. Absent a quorum, it doesn't count as one of the 10 meetings. (And if this isn't the policy you intend, it's worth making that explicit. However, that means there could be no meetings ever having a quorum...)

This is more than a formal nicety. Ensuring a quorum creates some pressure to line up participation ahead of time.

7.      The IAOC voting members shall not receive any compensation (apart from
reimbursement of expenses) for their services as IAOC members.

Most members are likely to have their principal employer subsidize their IAOC participation, on one fashion or another. Given the history of the IETF, I suspect no one will consider this problematic.

The current wording would seem to prohibit that. I suspect the intention is that IETF, IAOC, ISOC (or the like, related organizations) won't be compensating participation.

8.      The IAOC shall be guided by RFC 4071, as amended and supplemented.

"Guided by" is such an interesting language choice. Possibly quite a good one. But distinctive enough to warrant some clarification, I think.

For example, it implies that the IAOC is free to utterly ignore it, after have been "guided by" it. Perhaps that is both intended and desired? Still, this item pertains to decision-making policy.

So, for example, is IAOC free to be whimsical about applying Section 2.3 of 4071? (No, I don't think a real IAOC decision would be so cavalier. But a formal document needs to specify things carefully.)

With respect to decision-making, should this document specify any sort of appeals process? That is, should it specify a line of accountability?

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking