Re: About IETF communication skills

2008-07-31 10:51:21
On Jul 31, 2008, at 9:52 AM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

I understand that IETF has not done a good job in communicating about our work and I appreciate that this is being improved, however I think we need
to be very careful.

Yesterday, during dinner, one of the discussions with my colleagues, was
about this topic.

Some considered that part of the delay of the IPv6 deployment was due to the lack of communication effort from IETF. I'm not really sure about that,
however I agree that everything helps, of course.

My consideration is on the other way around about the latest press about IPv6 and NAT. Obviously the press is not presenting the info in the right
way, but this is our fault.

I don't think anybody from the community, or the IETF organization has the right to do and interview, and speak on behalf of the community and NOT make sure to review the interview BEFORE it is published. In my opinion is a big
mistake and a lesson to learn, because in this case the damage to IPv6
deployment is possibly much higher than what we as engineers could foresee.

I'd like to share my own experience here: I was interviewed by exactly the same reporter some time ago, and I requested to review the article before publication. But the very next thing I learned was that the article had been published, and the interview misquoted.

I questioned the reporter why she ignored my request, the reply was that it was the magazine's policy not allowing preview --- something they never told me beforehand.

One lesson learned.

Lixia