Re: several messages

2008-11-11 09:09:53
Hi Steve,

sorry to mention spamhaus again,
but that is the reason why many german and especially austrian
mailoperators had to give up blacklisting completely and turned
to graylisting.

Greylisting is mostly the same as blacklisting except you dont
depend on somebody else to maintain the list.

As one of my clients has put it:

"The makers behind a blacklist feel like god because they decide
live or death of an email address. The users of this list believe
it too and that is why they never understand how a blacklist could
ever see the end of its live. God is eternal and so must be his
blacklist. As happened once and again mailers break their sysop
breakes too and nobody knows who ever turned their mailers to use
this particular blacklist."

When we could not exchange emails with atnic for quite some time
we had to very quickly switch from blacklist to greylist. We did
not have a reason to switch back.

The girl who runs the mailer is mostly the girl who empties the
wastepaper baskets and sweeps the court. She does not live long
enough in a company to touch that mailer more than once. The next
girl who comes to touch the mailer has not even heard about
blacklists.

Kind regards
Peter

Steve Linford wrote:
Ehm, I don't think I want to enter into the 'issues' in Mr Anderson's
post, but I do like his "I hate John Levine" web page, I think all of
those who become graced with their own "I hate you" ranting web page
have verifiably achieved greatness (well done John ;)

This bit though I can elaborate on:

Unlike you, I don't see "overwhelming community consensus for
this mechanism".

Aw, come on.  There's a billion and a half mailboxes using the
Spamhaus DNSBLs, on systems ranging from giant ISPs down to hobbyist
Linux boxes.

This 1.5billion number is just more unsubstantiated BS.

Actually that is user numbers we have signed contracts for (i.e:
contractually-declared numbers of end users of the Spamhaus Datafeed
service), the actual figure being 1,425,440,000 users currently. I
would  say that is a level of usage that strongly suggests "overwhelming
community consensus for this mechanism".

  Steve Linford
  The Spamhaus Project
  http://www.spamhaus.org

Peter and Karin Dambier