RE: [73attendees] Is USA qualified for 2.3ofdraft-palet-ietf-meeting-venue-selection-criteria?

2008-11-19 17:48:57

I was trying not to comment on this thread but frankly, I think it is important
to offer a different perspective regarding the prioritization to consider.

I am not judging adequacy of a particular location. I am sure other locations
may pose problems. I do understand the frustration felt with US locations and I
have seen this problem take place with other standard meetings than IETF (e.g.
OMA in Chicago in August had many delegates (mostly from China but not only
from China) unable to attend also for the same reasons and despite OMA having a
much more formal company level membership based approach...). But reading the
below, I have heard too often attendance #s and sponsorship considerations used
to justify overlooking disenfranchisement, and it is simply not OK...

I think that if we aim at being an open standard organization, the highest
priority must always be to not disenfranchise any IETF participants. While IETF
offer safeguards and other mechanisms (e.g. email discussions) to reflect
different views, being unable to attend meetings can be considered as severely
impairing participation. o knowingly have locations that would prevent the
participation of some should be treated as a major issue as it disenfranchises
and it could be construed as a way to favor certain agendas. Other
considerations like sponsorship, amount of attendees may matter but they are
second order considerations that do not compare to the need to address
disenfranchisement first... In fact a fairer view could be that if IETF can't
address it for a specific meeting, may be IETF should simply not hold the
meeting instead of justifying moving ahead because others can attend... If some
can't attend, none should be given the advantage to attend and have their
agenda
 pushed forward. That is imply not OK not matter where, why it happens etc...

I am sure that view may be controversial for some. That's not my intention and
I am not that inclined to argue it further... But I wanted to make sure that if
this discussion is continued, such a  point of view is also captured and
documented...

I hope it help.

Thanks

Stephane