Re: [73attendees] Is USA qualified for2.3ofdraft-palet-ietf-meeting-venue-selection-criteria?

2008-11-18 14:47:34
Hi -

From: "Melinda Shore" <mshore(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
To: "Randy Bush" <randy(_at_)psg(_dot_)com>; "Scott W Brim"
<sbrim(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
Cc: <73attendees(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>; <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 11:22 AM
Subject: Re: [73attendees] Is USA qualified
for2.3ofdraft-palet-ietf-meeting-venue-selection-criteria?
I don't know what that means.  Canada, for example, is a peacekeeper
nation that requires visas for entry from countries from which there are
many IETF participants (India, China).  Is the issue the visa requirement
itself or is it how visas are processed?

I think the key concerns, in order of importance, are:
   (1) typical time required to process a visa request
   (2) likelihood that a visa will be granted to an IETF-er
   (3) cost of the visa application

(1) and (2) are the "biggies".  (3) gets lost in the
noise of meeting expenses for most destinations.

As someone who applies for (and gets, usually within
three days) visas at least once or twice a year to countries
other than the US, I don't think the requirement for a visa
is itself a problem.  The problem is the processing, and
the QoS *does* vary enormously, depending both source
and destination address.

Randy