Re: The internet architecture

2008-11-30 10:53:48
On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 11:26:54PM -0500,
 Keith Moore <moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com> wrote
 a message of 27 lines which said:

If by "hostname" the authors mean DNS names,

I would personally make a difference between the concept of a domain
name and the protocol used to resolve them (today, mostly DNS).

The domain names will probably stay for a very long time, now that
people are used to it. The DNS may be replaced or partially replaced
in the future by new protocols (such as P2P ones).

So, I believe that the term of "DNS name" is confusing.

DNS is too slow and too often incorrect.

See the remark above. If we replace DNS with a "better" protocol,
would your objection still stand?

And while it's true that IP addresses don't have the right
semantics, neither do DNS names.

Please elaborate. I agree that the current resolution protocol is not
perfect but what is wrong with the semantics of domain names?