RE: [Trustees] ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your review and comments on a proposed Work-Around to the Pre-5378 Problem

2009-01-09 12:08:02

 From my perspective, the best approach involves keeping the general
case simple. The documents that have been transferred outside the IETF
in the past five years is a single digit number, a tenth of a percent
of all RFCs if not a smaller fraction.  From my perspective, the
simplest solution to the transfer issue is to ask the people relevant
to a document for which transfer has been suggested whether they have
an issue with transferring it, rather than asking every document
author his or her opinion on the vast majority of documents, which
will never be transferred.

Certainly in the IETF as we have known it, situations such as those
described in RFC 4663 have been rare.  If handling those scenarios is
the major focus, then I'd agree with your argument for "optimizing for the
common case".  In particular, corner conditions have a way of being
somewhat unique (that's why they are corner conditions) so that
trying to handle all of them in a unified way can prove elusive.

So overall, the question seems to come down to whether transfers

are likely to become much more commonplace in the future than
they have in the past.  It strikes me that the situations in which
this would occur would tend to be rather dark -- and indeed the
discussion on this topic has wandered into some of those less rosy
scenarios. While an organization (or person) is healthy, it is often
difficult to muster much enthusiasm for "estate planning" discussions.

However, even if one considers those situations, it still is not entirely
clear to me that these provisions are required.  For example, over the
last few years we seem to have made it through a number of wrenching
transitions without requiring this.

For example, do we believe that the situation described in RFC 4663
is likely to become increasingly common in the years ahead?
To be blunt, the only scenarios in which that would seem possible
would be "worst case"

 Remember that this boilerplate affects
internet drafts, but most internet drafts are discussion documents - a
fraction of internet drafts even become RFCs, and a small fraction of
RFCs are transferred elsewhere.

As to the other issues that 5378 addresses, I suspect that a better
approach will be to fall back to 3978/4748/2026 temporarily and move
to 5378-bis when it comes rather than to use this very general
workaround to 5378's issues until 5378-bis is resolved. 3978 etc
worked just fine for most purposes...