Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your comments on revised proposed legend text to work-around the Pre-5378 Problem

2009-01-23 05:46:33
"Ed Juskevicius" <edj(_dot_)etc(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:

The updated proposed legend text based on the discussion to date is as
follows:

Thanks for your work, I think the new text works.

I noticed that your proposed document contains another unrelated change,
and I'm opposed to approving that change.

The old document [1] in section 4 used the following copyright notice
for the BSD license:

   Copyright (c) <YEAR>, IETF Trust and the persons identified as its
   authors. All rights reserved.

Your new document uses this copyright notice:

   Copyright (c) [insert year] IETF Trust and the persons identified as
   the document authors. All rights reserved.

This change seems arguable wrong.  The document authors are not
necessarily the author of the code.

I understand and agree that the copyright notice in the RFC boilerplate
can be the latter copyright notice, but that is what the document says
further on.  Section 4 deals with the copyright notice that needs to be
present in implementations that re-use code from the RFC under the BSD
license.

Thanks,
Simon

[1] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.general/32225

Btw, the IPR-WG mailing list archive is not available publicly from
ietf.org, so I'm posted a link to gmane.org instead.