Re: [OPSEC] [tcpm] draft-gont-tcp-security

2009-04-13 17:09:54

Donald,

I'm confused by your post. You appear to believe that TCP is intended to
be secure. Note that TCP does not require either the MD5 or AO extension.

Smith, Donald wrote:

(coffee != sleep) & (!coffee == sleep)
Donald(_dot_)Smith(_at_)qwest(_dot_)com gcia

-----Original Message-----
From: opsec-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:opsec-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]
On Behalf Of Fernando Gont
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2009 1:23 PM
To: Joe Touch
Cc: tcpm(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; Joe Abley;
opsec(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org;
Lars Eggert; Eddy,Wesley M. (GRC-RCN0)[Verizon]
Subject: Re: [OPSEC] [tcpm] draft-gont-tcp-security

Joe Touch wrote:

So we had tcp-secure in 2004, icmp-attacks in 2005, a claim for a
trivial attack in 2008 (Outpost24/CERT-FI), and we'll
probably continue
in this line, because we do nothing about it.
Whether we have this document or not, we will continue to
have people
who incorrectly assume that TCP is secure.

Secure is a general term. TCP was intended to address several areas of
security.
The classic tenets for computer security is:
CIA -> Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability.
TCP doesn't attempt to address Confidentiality.
However it was designed to address integrity and availability so
failures in those areas should be documented and addressed in some
fashion.

Can you explain this? Where is the integrity protection? Where is the
availability specified?

It's security/resiliency can be improved. After all, if that were not
the case, I guess you're wasting your time with TCP-AO. Or is it that
you believe the only way to improve a protocol is to throw
crypto at it?

Adding crypto improves confidentiality and integrity but is counter
productive to availability as most
crypto engines are prone to fairly low pps resource exhaustion
attacks.

All prevention methods are susceptible to computational resource
attacks, since all increase the operations performed on a packet. It is
commonly assumed that this is a desirable tradeoff, and that the
computational resources can be totally protected with line-rate
dedicated computation (e.g., hardware assist).

Joe