Re: More liberal draft formatting standards required

2009-07-02 14:00:50

On Jul 2, 2009, at 9:22 AM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

On Jul 2, 2009, at 12:16 PM, Ted Hardie wrote:

At 10:19 PM -0700 7/1/09, Douglas Otis wrote:
for wanting more than just plain text documents is to permit inclusion of charts, graphs, and tables, for a visual society

It seems to me that where this discussion has faltered before is on whether this is, in fact, a requirement.

You are exactly correct, and I can recall several interminable discussions of this.

To save time, I would suggest adopting the Patent Office rules on Perpetual Motion. People advocating for a change to facilitate figures (or to allow complicated math, such as tensor analysis) should have an existence proof, i.e., a document that requires the change to be published. (A document that left the IETF to be published elsewhere for this reason would also do.)

What appears to be missed in these conversations represents a dissatisfaction of the generation tools and output quality, which is easily shared. There is good reason to avoid closed source generation tools, however the IETF has already employed and permitted the use of roff inputs and outputs, which appears to offer a reasonable means to satisfy the many requirements already in place.

A suggestion to use Word XML outputs as a means of providing WISIWYG operation misses what is currently in place within xml2rfc needed to generate tables, state diagrams, and graphs. Yes, these elements are _currently_ contained within existing RFCs, but in ASCII form. Even though these elements are structured using ASCII, textual processing must still accommodate special handling of these clumsy visual elements.

Although I am not blind, the simple instructions required by roff tools should allow those visually impaired a superior means for understanding the intent of visual graphics, rather than guessing what a series of white-space and characters are attempting to convey within diagrams or equations.

In addition, there are currently several RFCs already created using roff, as were my first attempts at writing I-Ds. Due to IETF's current level of support for xml2rfc, this mode of input now offers an easier means to generate acceptable output. IMHO, roff tools can still offer higher quality output that is more compatible with various presentation media than outputs generated from xml2rfc.

Perhaps the IETF may wish to better retain the older roff methods by offering better boilerplate and processing support for this currently acceptable method for generating I-Ds and RFCs. A wiki style web-page with IETF custom roff pre-preprocessors could facilitate roff inputs for the creation of ID and RFC documents. The availability of roff to html output should also make creating previews as a type of iterative WISIWYG mode of creation possible. This would be no different than the steps used with xml2rfc.

IIRC, .ps generated from roff tools are still acceptable inputs as well, although I expect the current publishing automation is likely to balk at output from these older methods. Too bad though.

-Doug