RE: More liberal draft formatting standards required

2009-07-05 11:03:29
At 4:12 PM +0300 7/5/09, Yaakov Stein wrote:
If I remember correctly, draft-ash-alt-formats gave such examples.

G.805 diagrams were needed for some of the PWE and MPLS work,
but could not be put in the desired format.

I personally started writing up a description of a packet loss concealment
technique,
but had to give up due to the formulas not being transcribable
(I had no problem submitting a patent application instead).

In TICTOC we are not even considering attempting any work that needs math,
but rather leave it to other SDOs.
It is considered a limitation of the system.

It appears that people have forgotten that, when needed for clear artwork, RFCs
can be published in PDF format. This has been done in the past, and can be done
again in the future. If WGs are not doing some work because of fear of not
having it published as an RFC because of the artwork, they are working under a
misconception. Talk about premature anti-optimization!

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium