Re: Automatically updated Table of Contents with Nroff

2009-07-15 14:56:19
Randy Presuhn wrote:
With respect to boilerplate, xml2rfc lacks this advantage.
*It* generates the boilerplate; the user has no way of knowing whether
the option present in the source file will result in the same output
text today as it did yesterday.  From a configuration management /

As far as I can tell, there never has been a change that would have caused the boilerplate for a given combination of @ipr attribute, RFC number, and publication date to change.

Did this actually occur to you? Details would be appreciated.

revision control perspective, this is highly undesirable.  It would be
much better to be able to "#include" a versioned source file for
those bits.

I'm not disagreeing with that this would be good, in particular for archival; as a matter of fact *my* implementation of the format allows this via an extension element.

But as far as I can tell, most people *like* the fact that xml2rfc takes care of the boilerplate.

BR, Julian