Re: [rfc-i] Objection to reworked para 6.d (Re: Rationale for Proposed TLP Revisions)

2009-07-20 13:27:24
Julian Reschke wrote:
Harald Alvestrand wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to understand whether this change affects me.

So...

1) Many specs I'm editor of contain ABNF. Does it need to be labeled as code component (I believe not).
In my understanding, all ABNF is code by definition (included in the Trust's list of "things considered code"), so no.

2) These specs also collect all ABNF fragments into an appendix, containing the collected ABNF. Does that appendix need to contain the BSD license text (I believe not, but heard from colleagues that their docs are blocked because they do not).
I believe it would be silly to make it contain the BSD license.
Some people on the IESG seem to think that the IESG has made such a statement; one of my WGs has a couple of documents that are blocked until this is resolved.

3) If I *extract* ABNF from these documents (such as for the purpose of generating an input file for an ABNF parser), do I need to include the BSD license text? If so, can somebody explain how to do that given the constraints of the ABNF syntax?
; is a fine character. A block of comment should be fine.