Re: Actual IPv6 deployment observed

2009-07-27 12:37:49
If we are going to get that number up we need to have an application
layer interface that is 100% indifferent to the underlying network
version.

We seem to have slid backwards here. When the Web code was written it
was network agnostic. You could switch from TCP/IP to DECNETIV or OSI
by only changing one module. Since IP won we have had ten years of
IPv4 centric code written.

This is a Y2K problem without the deadline.

If we are going to get IPv6 deployed, someone has to think through and
plan a transition strategy with incentives. It i clear that people on
this list do not regard that as IETF work which is fair enough. But
the IETF has to be prepared to cooperate with whoever does take on
that task and has to not hinder it by throwing muddled end to end
ideology into the mix.

The key word there being 'muddled'. End to end was a pragmatic
argument, if people turn it into dogma they are missing the point.

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 5:02 AM, Iljitsch van