Re: Retention of blue sheets

2009-07-30 11:50:27
The fact that this came up in the context of subpoenas argues in the other direction. That meeting attendance is subject to subpoena was probably not evident (or disclosed) to most attendees. What kinds of legal process does the Trust respond to? Do requests have to have court backing, or would the blue sheets be disclosed to anyone who wanted to see them? I agree that in the context of blue sheets, the answers to these questions are unlikely to be frequently invoked. But it still makes sense to have a policy around it and to disclose that policy. Otherwise, people who would want to avoid signing a sheet due to privacy concerns wouldn't even know of their need to avoid signing.

Furthermore, the blue sheets are in some ways the least of the data collected by the IETF. What happens to all of our meeting registration and payment data? What about the server logs for the IETF web sites? I'm not saying less data should be collected (I don't really know enough to evaluate that). I just think there should be a policy for protecting that data and the people it describes. It is hard to come by an organization web site that doesn't contain a privacy policy these days.

Alissa