Re: China blocking Wired?

2010-01-11 12:12:47

On Jan 11, 2010, at 11:18 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:

At 10:32 PM -0600 1/10/10, Dean Willis wrote:
Very interesting, from an IETF-hosting perspective.

<snark>I cannot imagine going to an IETF meeting and not being able to read Wired magazine while I am there.</snark>

So, are there likely to be problems with paper copies of the magazine at customs? Is it available at English-language newsstands?

What other sorts of publications should our attendees leave at home for fear of violating national standards with which me might not be familiar? Are thre likelto be be digital media searches of the sort feared at US and UK customs checkpoints?

I suppose DVDs with copies of "Pure Heart. Clear Mind" episodes would be right out. We wouldn't want to end up like this guy:

http://www.amnesty.org/en/appeals-for-action/end-persection-falun-gong-practitioner

What other land mines are we likely to step on by accident? Who is going to provide training to the community to keep these sorts of incidents from happening?

Sorry, I seem to be just chock full of snarky questions today.

--
Dean