Re: China blocking Wired?

2010-01-11 12:42:06

--On Monday, January 11, 2010 12:11 -0600 Dean Willis
<dean(_dot_)willis(_at_)softarmor(_dot_)com> wrote:

What other sorts of publications should our attendees leave at
home for fear of violating national standards with which me
might not be familiar?  Are thre likelto be be digital media
searches of the sort feared at US and UK customs checkpoints?

Dean,

Many of us have been to China multiple times.  I am not aware of
anyone who has been granted a business or professional visa, and
who has gone and behaved professionally, having nearly the
problems with entry or exit that have been typical of the US in
recent years (even returning US citizens).  I've encountered
some long lines, bad multilingual signage, and miscellaneous
confusion on occasion, but China clearly has no monopoly on
those.

However, if you are feeling this threatened about the situation,
I would encourage you to make comments on your visa application
that are harshly critical of the Chinese government.  The visa
will probably be denied on that basis (almost any government
that requires that visas be issued prior to arrival would do the
same thing), and then you would get to complain about being
excluded from the meeting -- that would be lots more fun than
making things up to be frightened about.

    john