Re: Announcing Clouds bar BoF during IETF-77 (March, 2010, Anaheim, CA)

2010-02-22 15:00:20
On Feb 22, 2010, at 11:52 AM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
My thought exactly. The distinction between cloud computing and open grid
computing is very small (or possibly zero)

With all due respect, Brian, it's really not.  With cloud
computing you're typically dealing with multitenanting issues
and a bunch of other layer 8-9 stuff that tends (of necessity)
to be reflected down the stack, and I think I can see an
argument for cloud computing belonging in the RAI space,
or at least having substantial overlap.

The infrastructure aspects of it have implications for work
that not only has not been done in the past but has actively
been rejected in the past - see, for example, stuff
around state transfer and management in the rserpool discussions.
It's one thing to talk about network protocols for
carrying stuff around but the {i,r}pc aspects of the work
really have a lot more to do with computation than the IETF
has historically undertaken.

Melinda