Re: Why the normative form of IETF Standards is ASCII

2010-03-15 16:20:50
Julian Reschke wrote:

Printing the documents with Microsoft Word is not that difficult.
Load it as .txt, remove two newlines at the beginning of the
title page, select page margins at 1"/1" left&right, font
courier new and font size 10 throughout should work on A4 paper.
Printing them 2-up probably makes sense, and may be easier to your
eye that a free-floating 1-column printout of an HTML-version
of the document.

Open properly formatted HTML in browser, make sure shrink-to-fit is
disabled and zoom level is 100%, print.

It needs a painful lot of work to make free-floating formating
not come out with poor results.  When I do the above, an ascii
arts with 3 lines of text and a box around is broken over from
page8->page9 for http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html

In order to support free-float formatting, you will have to
tag *ALL* paragraphs, bullet points, drawings, sections and
what have you with "non-breakability" information
(in TeX it is called "badness") so that formatting doesn't
"break" badly as it currently will do.  HTML may be ok for
screen rendering, but it is very poor at printing.

This particular free-float HTML-version of rfc2616 also creates
some close-to "intentionally left blank" pages (and the purpose
of page 120 in the above document is a mystery to me).

And while the Headers&Footers that a browser puts on a printout
might make sense for printing web pages, I strongly prefer the
original headers and footers on RFCs and I-Ds!

-Martin