Re: Last Call: draft-ogud-iana-protocol-maintenance-words (Definitions for expressing standards requirements in IANA registries.) to BCP

2010-03-17 18:13:09
At 10:45 17-03-10, The IESG wrote:
The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:

- 'Definitions for expressing standards requirements in IANA registries.'
   <draft-ogud-iana-protocol-maintenance-words-03.txt> as a BCP

final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to the

The Intended Status is listed as "Standards Track" whereas the announcement says BCP.

Quoting Section 1:

  "The DNSEXT working group decided to try to decrease the number of
   algorithms listed in the registry and add a column to the registry
   listing the requirements level for each one.  Upon reading that
   HMAC-MD5 was tagged as "OBSOLETE" a firestorm started."

Do we really have to call a duck by another name to quell a firestorm? :-)

  "A now expired draft (draft-hoffman-additional-key-words) attempted
   to establish these additions as new keywords but was never fully
   adopted."

That's "Work in Progress".

Section 2 defines terminology. Are the RFC 2119 keywords really necessary? For example, MANDATORY (Section 3.1) is defined as:

  "This is the strongest requirement and for an implementation to ignore
   it there MUST be a valid and serious reason."

Based on my reading, this means that I can ignore a mandatory requirement if I can find a valid reason to do so.

I take it that DISCRETIONARY means that we don't care whether you do or don't do it. A MAY in RFC 2119 terms means optional.

In Section 3.3, OBSOLETE (for operations) is defined as MUST be phased out. For implementations, it means SHOULD NOT support this functionality. I could use RFC 4892 and RFC 5001 as examples. :-)

In Section 3.7, the term AVAILABLE is defined. Any implementation claiming to know the meaning of this unallocated code MUST NOT be used. If I am not mistaken, there was such a case last year. Some people will read "AVAILABLE" as free for use.

I unfortunately cannot support this document as it would only encourage the usual discussions about keywords and I doubt that introducing new terms would have the intended effect.

Regards,
-sm