Re: Why the normative form of IETF Standards is ASCII

2010-03-22 17:41:51
Doug Ewell wrote:

As many Japanese type Yen sign, when he actually want to input back
slash, the JIS character of Yen sign is converted to unicode character
of Yen sign, which is not back slash, which was the intention.

I think this means that the user's kludge, in typing a yen sign to get a
backslash, is not matched by Unicode with an equal and opposite kludge
of converting the yen sign back to a backslash.  I guess in the 1960s
one could consider this a fault.

That is simply a reality though it does not match your opinion.

It should also be noted that, in Japanese encoding of JIS C 6226,
back slash and Yen sign has been separateds already in 1978,
which means unicode adds nothing.

Why don't we ask one of the scores of software vendors that have
deployed Unicode, at least as "fully" as this thread is about, just how
"disastrous" their experience has been and how much better things would
be if they had stuck with ISO 2022 instead?

See above.

                                                Masataka Ohta