Re: Above market hotel room rates

2010-03-24 11:57:03
I need to get back to doing real work, but David perfectly captured the tension here:

You simply can't compare block reservations done months in advance to spot prices for individual rooms on very short notice.

... except that you can't NOT do that comparision, since you're on the hook for the cost in either case ...

... so I think the key point goes back (as John Klensin says from time to time) total cost, and my own plea would be that we not encourage people to do local optimizations that make it more difficult for participants to attend the IETF. For example, if enough of us book individual rooms that the IAOC must raise the registration cost over US$1000 to get the hotel to provide conference rooms, a US$1000 expenditure changes the approval level (upward) for several past employers who have sent me to IETF meetings - so that would make it harder for participants to get approval to attend.

It really is a total-package-plus-per-line-tuning problem. I'm glad the IAOC worries about this so the rest of us don't have to worry about it, quite so much.

Thanks,

Spencer