Re: Formal SPAM Compliant filed against Anderson...

2010-05-05 13:37:38

--On Wednesday, May 05, 2010 17:05 +0200 Arnt Gulbrandsen
<arnt(_at_)gulbrandsen(_dot_)priv(_dot_)no> wrote:

Just use a sieve script (or anything else) to reject the mail.
The list software will eventually see that mail to you is
persistently undeliverable, and unsubscribe you.

Arnt,

However appropriate it may be in this case, I have to object to
that particular advice.  More conventional spammers (the
unsolicited, unambiguously-commercial, email variety) turn it
around to say "you can apply filters and therefore we are
causing no harm".    Setting up the filters (sieve script or
otherwise) has a cost, having the hardware and bandwidth needed
to receive (at least to the filtering point), analyze, and
reject the mail has a cost, and so on.

Sending mail to people who clearly don't want it is discourteous
and abusive at best and should not be encouraged in any way,
especially by telling the recipients that they can always filter.

    john