Re: The point is to change it: Was: IPv4 depletion makes CNN

2010-06-14 18:56:56

In message
<ikG3jf9YmyaauWK/lH7bqg(_dot_)md5(_at_)lochnagar(_dot_)gulbrandsen(_dot_)priv(_dot_)no>,
 Arnt Gul
brandsen writes:
Mark Andrews writes:
Seriously, I do think it is time that the root and TLD's had IPv6 only
name servers.

Why (and do you mean all 6-only or one 6-only)?

Because there are IPv6 only nameservers out there today.  Not
everyone can get a stable IPv4 address to run a nameserver on.  I
can't.  I've got IPv6 only masters which have dual stack slaves.
My IPv6 addresses are stable.  My IPv4 addresses are not.  And
stable IPv4 address will become less available as ISP's introduce
carrier grade NATs (NAT444 or DS-lite).

While TLD's and the root are in positions where they are unlikely
to ever *need* to run IPv6 only, having them run IPv6 only is a
good thing as it show the world that this is a normal and expected
situation.

There is no negative side to running a IPv6 only nameserver.  IPv4
only clients will ignore them.  For IPv6 only and dual stack clients
they are no better or worse than a dual stack server.

Mark

Arnt
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka(_at_)isc(_dot_)org