Re: The IPv6 Transitional Preference Problem

2010-06-20 21:57:04

On 2010-06-20, at 15:52, Geert Jan de Groot wrote:

IMHO, there's 2 issues:
1. Global IPv6 connectivity doesn't exist - at best, it's a tunnel mess
  with bits and pieces continuously falling off, then getting reconnected
  again, and nobody seems to care - there's no effort to make connectivity
  more stable

I think this is an over-statement (at least, if you consider that global IPv4
connectivity *does* exist, which I might choose to argue about over an open
pack of Stroopwafels).

2. A new client query type - AAAAA - (that's 5 A's, meaning "give me IPv6
  unless it doesn't exist, in which case return me IPv4),
  with this result cached, would be helpful in high-latency
  situations

I haven't run the numbers, but my instinct is that this is a problem worth
solving. If a thousand out of every thousand and one queries is answered from
the cache, then optimising a thousand and two (AAAA and A) back to a thousand
and one isn't going to make a perceptible difference to anybody, at the cost of
interop and fallback in a world where AAAAA is not universally available.

It would be good if someone with access to a nice variety of query dumps from
resolvers in various situations was able to estimate the practical impact on
the end user of optimising (A, AAAA) into (AAAAA -- nice name) since this idea
is a good enough one that (plain to see) it keeps coming up. If it has value,
let's see the numbers and do something about it. If not, let's put it to bed.

Joe