Re: motivations (was: Re: draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-00)

2010-06-25 12:42:33
I can't remember offhand if DNS got to full standard or not, lets say for
the sake of argument that it did.

If we want to make a significant change to DNS, such as yank out some
features that were never used, we have a minimum of about six years before
the change can be made.

First we would have to get an ID written and progress it through the working
group, that would be two years. Then we would have to get the proposed
standard to draft, a minimum of two years. Then we would have to go from
draft to standard, which has not happened to a DNS spec since the fall of
the Soviet Union.

We currently have the idiotic position where RFC821 is a full standard and
RFC2821 which obsoletes it is not.

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(_at_)shinkuro(_dot_)com>