Re: Tools logins -- Aaaargh!

2010-09-03 08:37:30
Hi Dale,

On 2010-08-31 18:08 Worley, Dale R (Dale) said:
There is probably a better place to complain about this, but...

There are various IETF "tools" web pages.  But I have a devil of a
time using them because they do not identify themselves usefully when
asking for a login.  There are multiple login databases in the whole
IETF tools suite, and experienced users know which database controls
access to which tool.  But for us unwashed masses, there is no way to
guess which web pages demand which password because they are named
inconsistently.

Let me propose:

* Each password database has a *single* name which is the only name
that it is ever referred to by, such as "IETF tools login" and "IETF
datatracker login".

* Each login prompt gives the *single* name of the password database
that it is driven by.

Thanks for the suggestion, it's good.  However...

I went ahead and changed the AuthName directive in the Apache config
files to specify "IETF tools login" instead of "IETF" a moment ago.
I then tested logging in, and couldn't, and then realised that since
the tools servers are using digest authentication, the digest will
change when the realm changes and all the passwords in current use
(2508 at the moment) will be invalidated.

So I had to revert it back to the old setting :-(

We've had as a goal for some time to move to having the same login/pw
for both the datatracker and the tools pages; I think we'll have to
try to move forward with that plan in order to handle the situation,
rather than the quick fix proposed above.

Best,

        Henrik