RE: Optimizing for what? Was Re: IETF Attendance by continent

2010-09-06 04:02:33
Yoav Nit [mailto://ynir(_at_)checkpoint(_dot_)com] writes:

I would go so far as to say that getting a US visa seems easier than
getting one to China. Who are the people for whom it's easier to visit a
European country than it is to visit the US?

Umm, Americans?  I have lived outside the US for about three years now &
returning for a visit has always been painful, even if "normal".  The normal
pain includes answering such questions as "How long have you been gone?" and
"Why did you leave?" (??!), the natural response (which had better not be
given!) being "On what planet is that the business of the government?"; the
less normal pain (for most, I guess; it happened to me 14 times in a row
from 2000-2008, of course having nothing to do w/my political views ;-) is
being detained for a couple of hours while agents tear apart & inspect the
contents of my luggage, laptop, camera, mobile phone, etc.  By contrast, I
have visited at least two dozen other countries (many of them multiple
times) in Europe, Asia & North America over the last 25 years & had problems
w/Customs and/or Immigration exactly twice.