Re: Fisking vs Top-Posting

2010-09-22 12:22:03
On Wed Sep 22 16:57:45 2010, Keith Moore wrote:
On Sep 22, 2010, at 9:26 AM, Jari Arkko wrote:
> However, sometimes I see posters on some lists fall back on a simpler form of retaining context, where the unabridged discussion history gets quoted on all new messages. I don't know if we slip into this mode out of convenience or because we somehow assume that the other readers (and their mail tools) on the list are stateless and have no memory of past events.

My theory is that email user agents have somehow, overall, become less functional over time in allowing people to quote portions of previous messages and insert new text into such quoted messages. I think this actually got worse when it became conventional to compose messages (and quote replies) in HTML.

Possibly. It's worth noting that format-flowed, for instance, is well supported and very good at quoting unambiguously, whilst retaining the flowed text that's a primary driver for HTML email.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net -
xmpp:dwd(_at_)dave(_dot_)cridland(_dot_)net