Re: Alternate entry document model (was: Re: IETF processes

2010-10-29 16:03:22
SM wrote:

It would be difficult to get buy-in if the document is not published
as a RFC.  Instead of  eliminating Proposed Standard, how about
allowing the working group output document to be
published as Proposed Standard?  The approval could be done within
the working group only but that might results in documents of
questionable quality.

Essentially, you seem to be asserting that IETF community feedback
should be considered harmful and delayed to much later in the process
where it can have even less impact.

Previous assertions where about the IESG making things too difficult.

To me, that sound a little like giving up.
Changing solutions, fixing protocols and fixing documents is exhausting
and painful, so let's just skip all of that.  Let vendors and implementors
wiggle out how to create interoperable products from shoddy specs
all by themselves -- which is what some of them have been doing for
some time -- implementing defective specs and shipping interoperability-
impaired products long before the standardization work has converged
on a moderately stable Proposed Standard.

To me that looks like one way to obsolete the IETF
(IETF community consensus and IESG review).

-Martin