Re: [Full-disclosure] IPv6 security myths

2010-10-31 23:13:50
Hadriel Kaplan wrote:

Do you know some major application over the Internet using IPsec
with transport mode?

Yes: SIP.  SIP/UDP over IPsec in transport mode on the Internet
is not uncommon.  Arguably more common than SIP over TLS,
anyway... though that's expected to change. (and of course SIP
over IPsec or TLS are both noise compared with plain SIP over UDP)

Yes, IPv6 deployment also is expected to change.

Also, Femtocells running various protocols typically use IPsec
over the Internet, though in tunnel mode I believe - but one
wouldn't think of it as being a "VPN" in the traditional sense.

It's a traditional VPN to encrypt data to/from mobile terminals
in femtocells by femtocell stations.

In the same VPN, protocols to control the stations may also be
carried, which does not make the VPN not traditional.

Oh, and I believe storage/SAN (FCIP, iFCP, iSCSI) use IPsec over
the Internet; or at least the IPsec chip vendors seem to focus
on those markets a lot.  Though again in tunnel mode I think,
but not a classic "VPN" use.

Are you saying the SAN is a part of the public Internet?

The Internet is big and diverse - not everything is HTTP and DNS. ;)

So?

                                                Masataka Ohta