Re: Old transport-layer protocols to Historic?

2011-01-06 15:08:42

On Jan 6, 2011, at 12:40 PM, Bob Braden wrote:

Historic might imply that they were once in service, but have later been
replaced/deprecated. In fact, these protocols were always, and are still,
*experimental*.  It would seem logical to assign them the Experimental
category and be done with it.

Bob Braden

I would like to second Bob's position here.

as a co-author for  NETBLT (RFC998): NETBLT was out of a research effort to
answer the question: can we *fully* utilize long delay, high bandwidth (and
potentially error prone) networks?  NETBLT says and here is one way to do it.
Over the years (it's published in 1987) I have received comments from many
people saying that they learned something interesting or even useful from
NETBLT. The NETBLT paper (SIGCOMM 1987) got cited over 200 times.

As RFC998 stated clearly:

   This document is published for discussion and comment, and does not
   constitute a standard.  The proposal may change and certain parts of
   the protocol have not yet been specified; implementation of this
   document is therefore not advised.

I don't see any harm to keep it as is.

Lixia
PS: on the other hand, what would a "historical status" imply?  the ideas
obsolete?