Re: Old transport-layer protocols to Historic?

2011-01-07 13:54:09
Mykyta,

On Jan 5, 2011, at 9:44 PM, Mykyta Yevstifeyev wrote:

Hello all,

There have been a discussion on tsvwg mailing list about old transport layer
protocols - exactly IRTP (RFC938), RDP (RFC908,1151) and NETBLT (RFC998).
Initially there have been proposed to define IANA considerations for them.
But after a discussion it was found out that it would be better to move them
to Historic. I am writing to request more wider discussion on this topic.

I see little value even thinking about this.  It's looks like a "make work"
project to me.  Just because something is "old", doesn't mean it is "historic"
in the sense the label is used in the IETF.

Regarding RDP (RFC908, RFC1151), of which I am one of the authors, both are
currently labeled as Experimental.  I do not see any reason to change that.

Bob

There is quite strong consensus that IRTP should be Historic. There is a
registered draft on this topic:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-yevstifeyev-tsvwg-irtp-to-historic/

But as for others it should be discussed. Moreover, maybe anyone knows some
other old transport-layer protocols that are no longer in use?

Please copy tour answer to tsvwg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

All the best,
Mykyta Yevstifeyev