Re: Last Call on draft-ietf-pim-registry-03.txt

2011-01-14 02:26:40
Hi,

On 2011-1-13, at 22:43, Michelle Cotton wrote:
Many believe it makes it very clear to the users of the registry what is
available for assignment.  Something we will be rolling out soon (for those
registries with a finite space) will be small charts showing how much of the
registry space is unassigned, assigned and reserved (utilizing the
unassigned entries).

I mentioned in the past that the term "unassigned" to me at least doesn't make
it sufficiently clear that IANA assignment is often needed before codepoints
may be taken into use. We have several cases (the many different squats on TCP
option numbers, for example) were people pick unassigned codepoints during
development and only later realize that they should have registered them.

If you want to explicitly list unassigned codepoints in the registries, I'm
wondering if we can find a short phrase that makes it more clear that an IANA
action is normally required - maybe "available for IANA assignment"?

Lars