RE: Last Call on draft-ietf-pim-registry-03.txt

2011-01-14 03:59:35
RFC 5226 (BCP 26) says

   IANA must be given a set of
   guidelines that allow it to make allocation decisions with minimal
   subjectivity and without requiring any technical expertise with
   respect to the protocols that make use of a registry.

and goes on to discuss categories of unassigned code points (though
it does also define the unqualified word Unassigned). We were thus
advised, when publishing RFC 5444, to specify this clearly and
so we had tables such as

       +---------+-----------------------+------------------------+
       |   Type  | Description           | Allocation Policy      |
       +---------+-----------------------+------------------------+
       |  0-127  | Unassigned            | Expert Review          |
       | 128-223 | Message-Type-specific | Reserved, see Table 11 |
       | 224-255 | Unassigned            | Experimental Use       |
       +---------+-----------------------+------------------------+

(For the purposes of this discussion I suggest ignoring the 128 to
223 line above.)

This seemed to keep everyone (IESG, IANA, RFC Editor) happy.

--
Christopher Dearlove
Technology Leader, Communications Group

BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
Registered Office: Warwick House, PO Box 87,
Farnborough Aerospace Centre, Farnborough, Hants, GU14 6YU, UK
Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687