Re: Change control

2011-01-20 13:30:36
At 14:58 19-01-11, Donald Eastlake wrote:
It depends. That's why there are different versions of the boilerplate
depending on what rights the submitter is granting to the IETF.

I'll reproduce the notice for completeness:

  "This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
   Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
   (http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
   publication of this document.  Please review these documents
   carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
   to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
   include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of
   the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
   described in the Simplified BSD License."

I gather that an IETF Submission with the above notice allows the IETF to have change control on the work.

Generally, yes. There's nothing wrong is such discussion if there
appears to be a WG consensus to do so. You refer to this hypothetical
submission as a "work", which is a technically correct copyright term,
but I believe you are thinking of it as a standards specification or a
part of or an amendment to such a specification. But it can just be
that the submitter wanted to use the draft format as a convenient way
to make a statement to the WG, presumably a statement relevant to what
the WG is doing. In such a case, the whole point would be
consideration and, if appropriate, discussion of that statement in the
WG.

I was thinking of it in terms of "work", BCP 78 and BCP 79. Thanks for providing a better perspective.

It depends. That's why there are different versions of the
boilerplate. If the submitter has denied the IETF permission to
produce derivative works, then it seems improper to attempt to adopt
that draft as a WG draft. That's because being a WG draft implies WG
change control. However, the ideas in the draft could be used in a WG
draft.