Re: Last Call: <draft-holsten-about-uri-scheme-06.txt> (The 'about' URI scheme) to Proposed Standard

2011-01-21 11:38:24
On 21.01.2011 17:57, Ted Hardie wrote:
Howdy,
Reminder: the reason this was written down was so that "about:legacy-compat"
can be specified as XML system identifier in HTML5
(<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-doctype>).

This rationale isn't in the draft, nor is the token legacy-compat.

...because HTML5 defines it... (I think)

Having looked
at the section you reference, I see it also defines about:srcdoc as reserved,
unresolvable URI.  It should be included in this doc, if it goes forward.

I don't think the goal of the registration document is to define all about URIs out there. (and I don't think it should).

That said, I note that HTML5 has a number of what it calls "willful violations"
of the URI spec, in which it counsels the reading who actually knows what

Sadly.

the spec says to pretend it was using a term other than URI.  (One of these
is just past the fragment identifier used above).  Most uses of about
are outliers in the URI world by a long chalk.  Why not simply define about
as a different identifier form that happens to have a colon in it
(which, broadly,
it is) and make its use as system identifier in HTML5 a "willful violation" of
the XML spec?  That seems entirely consistent with the document's modus operandi
and save IANA the trouble of setting up a registry.

:-)

Browsers use "about:" where URIs are entered. So no matter what we think, it will be very hard to ever register a "about" URI scheme for something else.

Why not just accept it, and have a registration that at least enhances the situation (as opposed to it not being registered)?

Also -- the spec doesn't define an IANA registry, so there won't be any trouble for them anyway.

Best regards, Julian