Re: Last Call: <draft-holsten-about-uri-scheme-06.txt> (The 'about' URI scheme) to Proposed Standard

2011-01-24 12:02:36
On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 1:47 AM, Julian Reschke
<julian(_dot_)reschke(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de> wrote:
I believe "about" qualifies for permanent as per
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4395#section-2>, if there's something
essential missing, we should fix it.

Hi Julian,

I think the key question is whether this qualifies as well-defined
(section 2.3).
The draft declares some tokens/strings to be "reserved", and names one such
string.  It also declares that other strings may be reserved by other
specifications,
but it provides no way to discover them.  This leads someone who wishes to mint
a new "about" uri with no way of discovering whether a specification
has reserved
it.  To me, that means "reserved" is not currently well-defined.

I would not personally propose HTML5 be the canonical source for reserving these
strings, because I have some serious reservations about that spec's tendency to
fork other specs.  But the conversation thus far leads to believe that the two
probably ways forward are to

1) have a registry and populate it with blank and those
from the HTML5 spec as initial values

2)make HTML5 the only spec which can reserve these strings, an move
blank into it.

I hope this is clear.

best regards,

Ted Hardie