Re: Plagued by PPTX again

2011-11-15 15:01:30
On 15 November 2011 20:33, Martin Rex <mrex(_at_)sap(_dot_)com> wrote:

You mean free as in
Expires: This image will shutdown and become completely unusable
on November 17, 2011.

Yes, or rather, EAGAIN on November 18, that should give you the
next 120 days period for XP images.  AFAIK the Vista images are
more flexible...

This is for the 366 MB Windows XP image

...small caveat, the purpose of this image is to test Web pages
for IE6.  They can ditch it as soon as they realize that this is
in conflict with their own "phase out IE6" policy.  If you happen
to have an unused W2K key you could find W2K images via YouTube.

I'm too lazy to type all "security considerations" for the W2K
image approach, but W2K can install and run a PPT viewer.  FWIW
it can also install and run Adobe Reader 8 as PDF viewer.  Don't
try Adobe Reader 9 with only 256K virtual RAM.

If downloading and running several hundred megabytes is considered
an option, then you will be *MUCH* better of with a Linux Live-CD
like Knoppix 6.7.0 at 700MByte for the CD, which includes
LibreOffice 3.3.3 that seems capable of opening PPTX.

Sure, if you like that better go for it.  I went the opposite way,
I removed LibreOffice from a collection of "portable apps" (for a
definition of portable related to "W2K or XP or better 32bit NT"),
and I uninstalled a free "MS Office Live 10" shipped with my Win 7
box, because simple DOC(X) and PPT(X) viewers are faster and even
can "print as XPS" (if I want to keep the rendered output).

But XPS is unsuited for W2K, therefore I guess it is hopeless for
other platforms including Debian (Knoppix/Ubuntu/...).

While I hate "anything pdf" I fear that this solution only to
"play" PPT(X) would be *much* worse.

No, it would be *MUCH* better.  If you want movies, upload them
to youtube.  Using PDFs for the datatracker is *MUCH* better
(and it is much more likely that it can still be looked
 at in 15 years, whereas support for any particular PPT-Format
 seems to be less than 10 years.)

Slides are IMO not really "movies", at least not the simple slides
used for IETF presentations.  On YouTube you'd get Flash or some
HTML5 video format, folks unhappy with PPT(X) might not be happier
with this approach.

If anything, then the datatracker should automatically convert
any uploaded PPT to PDF itself.

Well, I'd prefer PPT if only PPT and PDF are offered for viewing,
and I'd prefer anything based on W3C XHTML 1.0 without scripts.

-Frank