Re: Plagued by PPTX again

2011-11-15 13:40:17
Nick Hilliard wrote:

Martin Rex wrote:

While I do have OpenOffice on about half of my dozen computing environments,
none of them is sufficiently "new" to process PPTX.  I'm a developer
and need my time for work, rather than constantly wrangling of software
updates of software that I hardly use myself, like OpenOffice.

I agree.  OOo has only supported pptx for the last 3 years, and you're
right that it's totally unrealistic to expect that everyone upgrade any of
their installations within this sort of time-frame.

Correct.  "Upgrading" an installation takes me a full week until it
works as smoothly as the original working environment.  I don't have
more than one week per year available for such waste, and about
10 different productive computing environment, which results in
a useful lifetime of a work environment of 10 years.

Personally, I'm pretty upset that I can't display any of these new-fangled
formats on my VT52.  I put this down to sheer bloody-mindedness on the part
of the IETF.

It would be a pretty bad idea for the IETF to join the planned obsolescence
choir for computing environments so that any Tablet you buy today will
be unable to visualize stuff that will be uploaded to the IETF datatracker
in late 2014.

-Martin