RE: reading on small devices, was discouraged by .docx

2011-11-28 08:42:30

--On Monday, November 28, 2011 02:45 -0800 Ole Jacobsen
<ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

We, the RSOC, think this might be a good, simple first task
for the  new RFC Series Editor ;-)

Especially given that, while we left omniscience off the public
requirements list, we expect any RSE appointee to demonstrate it
:-)

I got curious last night and ran a small experiment with a
fairly recent RFC that was published in PDF, as well as ASCII,
form to preserve some slideware.  The published PDF form of that
document simply does not contain sufficient information to
create PDF/A.  An process that tried to create PDF/A from the
PDF of the RFC would fail unless the RFC Editor could supply a
great deal of missing information, presumably by magic or some
similar process (most PDF processors I've encountered don't even
permit that information to be patched in from out-of-band
information, but there are exceptions.  In any event, lots of
work, not a mechanical converstion process.

Probably the original source docs contained the relevant
information (they probably do) but, once the files were
converted to PDF (however that was done), the information was
done and PDF/A creation is not possible without out-of-band
information or magical or supernatural intervention.

I then repeated the experiment with the first RFC in the
archives to be published in PS form (later converted to PDF).
That document, RFC 12, is five pages long.  The first (very
short) page is text, the others are a series of hand-written
drawings.  It does convert to PDF/A.  Interestingly, while the
PS and PDF files on the RFC Editor site are well over a megabyte
in size, the PDF/A (profile 1b) files (I converted both the
original Postscript and the RFC Editor's PDF and got slightly
different results) are about 382 KB in size.

On the other hand, I tried the PDF file out on one of those
small-screen devices and discovered that it preserved the page
format exactly-- by showing pages of the document reduced to
show one page per screen, no scrolling.  The resolution isn't up
to it even if my aging eyes are, so that is no solution either.

   john