Re: reading on small devices, was discouraged by .docx

2011-11-29 03:46:23
----- Original Message -----
From: "Christian Huitema" <huitema(_at_)microsoft(_dot_)com>
To: "Richard Shockey" <richard(_at_)shockey(_dot_)us>; "'John Levine'"
<johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com>;
<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Cc: <tytso(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu>
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2011 6:59 AM

Do we have an official web page listing the timings of the "ASCII text RFC"
discussions? It ought to tell us something about the state of the IETF...

If you want a change from the topic you mention, I commend to you a thread that
started as "Plagued by PPTX again" and has forked into a number of interesting
strands, among which you will find
- the proprietary PPTX format is not as widely supported amongst IETF users as
its proponents might imagine and the IETF would work better if its proponents
desisted from its use; this problem might be ameliorated by setting tools to
convert it automatically into a more widely supported one
- the proprietary DOCX format is not as widely supported amongst IETF users as
its proponents might imagine and the IETF would work better if its proponents
desisted from its use; this problem has already been recognised to the extent
that tools convert it automatically into a more widely supported format
- modern devices with narrow displays  and poor resolution give users a
presentation problem that it is worth the IETF's while investigating more
closely, a change to media types being one possible outcome

All-in-all, one of the more interesting times to track the IETF list.

Tom Petch

-- Christian Huitema