Re: Last Call: <draft-melnikov-smtp-priority-07.txt> (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol extension for Message Transfer Priorities) to Proposed Standard

2012-03-01 15:37:33
At 16:42 29-02-2012, The IESG wrote:
The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'Simple Mail Transfer Protocol extension for Message Transfer
   Priorities'
  <draft-melnikov-smtp-priority-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by 2012-03-28. Exceptionally, comments
may be

This draft specifies a SMTP extension. The IANA Considerations does not mention registration in the the SMTP Service Extensions registry. There should also be an indication about the extension being valid for the submit port. The issue of referencing STANAG 4406 was resolved by the IESG last year (see RFC 6477).

This draft also defines the MT-Priority header field. It is quite unusual for a SMTP extension specification to define a mail header field. If I had an reservations about this draft, it would be on architectural grounds. The draft tries really hard to transfer priority information over the Internet and in a foreign environment. Although the draft is well-written and can be implemented, I have doubts about whether it will achieve its objective. I unfortunately cannot support the publication of this draft as a Proposed Standard.

Regards,
-sm