RE: Last Call: <draft-melnikov-smtp-priority-07.txt> (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol extension for Message Transfer Priorities) to Proposed Standard

2012-03-01 16:16:23
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of SM
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 1:36 PM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Cc: Alexey Melnikov
Subject: Re: Last Call: <draft-melnikov-smtp-priority-07.txt> (Simple
Mail Transfer Protocol extension for Message Transfer Priorities) to
Proposed Standard

This draft also defines the MT-Priority header field.  It is quite
unusual for a SMTP extension specification to define a mail header
field.  If I had an reservations about this draft, it would be on
architectural grounds.  The draft tries really hard to transfer
priority information over the Internet and in a foreign environment.
Although the draft is well-written and can be implemented, I have
doubts about whether it will achieve its objective.  I unfortunately
cannot support the publication of this draft as a Proposed Standard.

It's certainly true that this could be done as a pair of clustered drafts, but
since they are clearly meant to be used together, and indeed have to be when
tunneling priority information through non-participating environments, their
coupling into a single draft makes sense to me.

Doubling the work of the IESG and the RFC Editor doesn't seem reasonable here.

-MSK