Re: Last Call: <draft-melnikov-smtp-priority-07.txt> (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol extension for Message Transfer Priorities) to Proposed Standard

2012-03-01 17:01:28
Oh, it's absolutely true that if one is to define this sort of thing as a
combination of SMTP protocol and message header fields, that should be done
in a single specification.  What I'm interested in community input on is
whether the mechanism of transferring the information back and forth
between the two, and having SMTP protocol get involved in inspecting and
altering header fields is a good thing.

Barry, document shepherd

On Thursday, March 1, 2012, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org <javascript:;>
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org<javascript:;>]
On Behalf Of SM
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 1:36 PM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org <javascript:;>
Cc: Alexey Melnikov
Subject: Re: Last Call: <draft-melnikov-smtp-priority-07.txt> (Simple
Mail Transfer Protocol extension for Message Transfer Priorities) to
Proposed Standard

This draft also defines the MT-Priority header field.  It is quite
unusual for a SMTP extension specification to define a mail header
field.  If I had an reservations about this draft, it would be on
architectural grounds.  The draft tries really hard to transfer
priority information over the Internet and in a foreign environment.
Although the draft is well-written and can be implemented, I have
doubts about whether it will achieve its objective.  I unfortunately
cannot support the publication of this draft as a Proposed Standard.

It's certainly true that this could be done as a pair of clustered drafts,
but since they are clearly meant to be used together, and indeed have to be
when tunneling priority information through non-participating environments,
their coupling into a single draft makes sense to me.

Doubling the work of the IESG and the RFC Editor doesn't seem reasonable
here.

-MSK