Re: provisioning software, was DNS RRTYPEs, the difficulty with

2012-03-02 12:34:29
On Mar 2, 2012, at 10:09 AM, Doug Barton wrote:

The point of my draft is that it's an extension language that both name
servers and provisioning systems can read on the fly.  Add a new stanza
to /etc/rrtypes and you're done, no software upgrades needed.  The risk
is much lower since the worst that will happen if the new stanza is
broken is that the provisioning software and name servers will ignore
it, not that the whole thing will crash.

So it seems to me that what you're proposing would also cause the need
for changes to be made to the provisioning systems. Or are you
suggesting that the same users who cannot handle anything other than
point and click are suddenly going to be able to enter specially
formatted text strings that they don't understand?

Yes, that's exactly the point. If they can copy-and-paste from a tool that
created the text string, this will be of huge benefit.

And/or that the
people who operate those provisioning systems are going to allow end
users to "Add a new stanza to /etc/rrtypes"?

No, that's not what is proposed. What is proposed is that if the operator has
added the stanza, the user can add the RRtypes.

Until the DNS crowd admits that provisioning systems are a major
bottleneck, and telling people to hand-code more types into them isn't
going to happen, there's no chance of getting more RRs deployed.

The rest of this discussion is almost certainly more suitable for dnsop,
but I'll say one more time that I disagree with you on this point.
Provisioning systems *are* a bottleneck, no one is disputing that. But
our experience with new TLDs, IPv6 and DNSSEC shows that when there is
user demand for these changes, they get made.

The purpose of the proposal is to allow protocols with less press oomph than
"new TLDs, IPv6 and DNSSEC" to be deployed. Maybe you don't want that, but many
of us do.

I'll also add one more point based on my experience with DNS
provisioning system UI design, most of what you are trying to accomplish
with your draft on the UI side can be handled with a simple text field
in an HTML form that allows the user to enter free-form stuff that is
then checked for syntax errors and loaded if the name server software
supports the record. I realize that we disagree on right solution for
the name server support side of the equation, but my point is that most
of what you claim to be trying to achieve is already easily accomplished.

Here, I agree with you more than I agree with John, but history has shown that
HTML forms are not sufficient. I'm not sure why.

--Paul Hoffman