Re: provisioning software, was DNS RRTYPEs, the difficulty with

2012-03-02 17:13:43
Well for BIND it's add a new file that defines the type's methods
and recompile.  That isn't a whole new version.

Recompile -> new version. These days, most server systems are built from precompiled packages. Check your local Linux box for an example.

Which is why there is a format for unknown types.  You can cut and
paste them as easily as known types.  Unfortunately the provision
systems often do a subset of RFC 1035 types let alone anything
newer.  Basically they are often just plain garbage.

Well, yes. Wouldn't it be nice to have provisioning systems that could be configured to support the RR types you want to use? If so, you might want to look at my draft.

Until provisoning systems accept UNKNOWN record types they will
always be a bottle neck.  Without that you will have to wait for
the change request to be processed.  Given the history just getting
AAAA records added to most of these system it will be forever.

AAAA was unusually painful, since it requires adding a parser for IPv6 addresses. (Having hacked it into my provisioning system, I speak from experience.) Most new RR types are just strings, numbers, names, and the occasional bit field.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
Dummies",